Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Smoked Whitefish Dip

The whitefish for this recipe came straight from the smokehouse, pictured above, on the shore of Lake Michigan. It was given to me (and my hubby and my lovely in-laws) by a family friend who owns a fishing company in the Upper Peninsula. The first time I tried to make it I used a food processor and pureed everything - fish and all. BAD IDEA! Although the taste was still great it was a shame to turn such beautiful fresh fish into paste. Thankfully we were given enough fish that I got a second try at the dip, so decided to fold in small pieces of the whitefish. Such an improvement! The whitefish needs to be the star in this appetizer so that every bite has nice big chunks of fish. This dip was a huge hit with my relatives who are huge outdoorsmen and fishermen and who appreciate a beautiful fresh smoked fish. You could alter this for any smoked fish you like or are able to get your hands on - salmon would be delicious as well!


This was the first dip:
Great flavor, not great texture. 


The second dip:
Excellent flavor, much better texture. 


Smoked Whitefish Dip
Printable Version
Ingredients
2 cups of fresh smoked whitefish 
1 block of 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
The juice of half a lemon
1 small onion, chopped
2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon of garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste
Directions
Cream together all ingredients except the fish with a hand blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Fold in the fish and place into serving bowl. 
Garnish with lemon and serve with crackers. 

13 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Thanks for posting - I was just looking for a good dip for smoked whitefish that we brought back from a trip to the UP. Great blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a Yooper, I give this dip a thumbs UP...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why thank you, I highly value the opinion of Yoopers on this dip!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I became hooked on Whitefish dip when a friend brought some out while we were in Traverse City and I purchased some to take home to Lansing. While vacationing in the U.:P. a couple of weeks ago, I found a store by the bridge and purchase a couple of containers and they were instantly gone upon my arrival home. I was searching the web for a smoked Whitefish recipe and saw yours and tried it today, and must say, it is FANTASTIC and so easy to make. This will be a regular at our parties and of course for my snacking. Thanks, you made me a happy man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome ! Thank you very much Ashley for sharing this awesome recipe !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that both of you, Anonymous and Nicki, enjoyed this dip! It is a tried and true Michigan recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic !! Got my fish from Walters in Ludington. Simple easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent simple recipe. Thank you for posting. Whitefish from Bay of Green Bay. Yum, Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What does 1 block mean? 3 oz or 8?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live in the Lansing area and got hooked on White Fish Dip when a friend brought some while kayaking on the Manistee River. It was more a paste then a dip and I tried other paste like recipes until I found yours a few years back and have stayed with it. So much better when the fish is folded in, then blended. It is a must serve when company comes over. It was a great day for me when I found your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Jim. I so appreciate you taking the time to comment and let me know you enjoyed this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails