Sunday, November 1, 2009

Bok Choy Stir Fry





Tonight, after Eric & I created our first fabulous stir fry, I was inspired to start this blog as a place where I can save recipes, post pictures, and share with friends and family all my adventures in cooking. Over the 16 months that Eric and I have been married I have tried countless new recipes - most of them good enough to make again, but unfortunately, I cannot remember them all. So this will be where I can keep the recipes. I hope you enjoy reading my cooking blogs and I hope you will share your ideas and comments with me.

Buon Appetito!!
Ashley


Eric and & Ashley's Bok Choy Stir Fry

Bok Choy, a Chinese vegetable loaded with Vitamin A, C and calcium, is the star in this stir fry. It motivated us to create our first stir fry, as we received some fresh bok choy in our weekly Farmer's Market bag yesterday. After looking at several different stir fry recipes on the internet, we grabbed some veggies out of our crisper and went to work.

2 cups chopped bok choy
1/2 chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 container sliced mushrooms
3 tablespoons garlic

1lb chicken breasts sliced into bite-size peices
several tablespoons of sesame oil
container of stir fry sauce (next time we'll make our own!!)

Minute rice - while the chicken and veggies are being stir-fried, microwave rice.

Marinate the chicken in the stir fry sauce for at least 30 minutes while chopping veggies.

Spread three or so tablespoons of sesame oil in large heated skillet and add chicken. Eric also put some garlic in the pan with the chicken. Allow chicken to cook throughly on both sides. Take chicken out of pan and set aside. Rest, chicken, rest.

Add about 3 more tablespoons of sesame oil and spread around skillet. Pour in all the chopped veggies and cover with stir fry sauce. Allow veggies to simmer and soften. Put chicken back into skillet to warm and mix with veggies. Pour on top of rice.

**After eating this stir-fry, we are not sold on bok choy!! I'm not sure I'd go out and buy it in the future, but it was fun to try a recipe with it. It reminded me of celery, but a little more watery. Next time we'd also use fresh ginger, garlic, and soy sauce to create our own sauce.

1 comment:

  1. you are so cute. that dish looks yumm-o! great idea.... i am in need of some new ideas to spice up or meals :-) thanks cooch, love you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails