Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Stoplight Corn Chowder

DSC_4386
To mix things up a bit in the new year, my husband and I decided to eat only vegetarian meals at home for the month of January. This decision was actually hubby's idea. I was telling him that while he was gone for six weeks this fall I didn't buy any meat to cook at home. So he suggested cooking vegetarian at home for a month. I was all for it and am having a lot of fun looking up yummy vegetarian recipes to try. If you have a favorite vegetarian dish, please share it with me! 
I saw this recipe for Stoplight Corn Chowder on Food and Whine. The name comes from the red pepper, green pepper, and corn. Cute, huh? I love corn chowder but the ones I've had always incorporate chicken, so I was interested in seeing how the soup would taste without it. I took Megan's advice and added in Navy Beans for extra protein. I made this soup last week when my sister in law was visiting. All three of us really liked it. It was filling, comforting, and had great flavor. Give this soup a try, you won't miss the meat at all!
Stoplight Corn Chowder
DSC_4369
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 cups corn
1 cup navy beans
2 vegetable boullon squares
3 tablespoons flour
3 cups milk
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Optional for garnish: crushed tortilla chips, cilantro, and/or sliced green onions

Directions
In the bottom of a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add pepper and onions and saute until softened (about 5 minutes). Stir in Navy Beans.
DSC_4375
Crumble bouillon over pepper and corn mixture. 
DSC_4378
Sprinkle flour atop peppers. Whisk in milk. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
DSC_4379
Stir over medium heat until chowder begins to thicken. Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted. 
DSC_4383
Garnish if desired before serving.
DSC_4384

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Corn Chowder and this looks so easy and delicious without being overly heavy. I am definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails