Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Eggs on the Eights











































Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day. I can and sometimes do, eat breakfast any time of the day. Eggs are my best-loved breakfast food and before I became a married woman, I often ate eggs for dinner. My love affair with eggs drives my husband crazy. He is not such a breakfast fanatic, so alas, I must restrict my egg eating to morning hours. (At least while my husband is around...there are times where he works late or is on the night shift and I can indulge in my egg eating past 10 AM!)

This recipe comes from Rick Bayless, who I absolutely adore. When I first saw Rick Bayless on Top Chef Masters, he quickly became my favorite chef. He has such a warm, kind personality and best of all, makes one of my favorite cuisines, Mexican. I was so happy when Rick took the title of Top Chef . I hope to someday visit one of his restaurants in Chicago. For now, I browse his website and admire from afar. While perusing Rick's website, I found a TV episode he did for Mother's Day brunch ideas. He calls this Fritatta "Eggs on the Eight" because the number 8 is used a couple of times in the recipe. You can watch the video yourself here: http://www.rickbayless.com/rbnews/media_gallery.html

I prepared it for my Mom, Dad, and husband while my parents were visiting for Thanksgiving. It was an instant hit and really filled us all up.

If you are a breakfast enthusiast, like myself, or want a really easy breakfast idea for when you have guests, be sure to give this recipe a try. You can add in whatever veggies, meats, or cheeses you like.



Eggs on the Eight

Ingredients:

Six Eggs
Olive oil
Chopped Potatoes (I used potatoes I had on hand for Thanksgiving Mashed Potatoes, but Rick recommended red potatoes)
Turkey Sausage (Rick used bacon)
Green Onions
Cheese of your preference
Cream (I use Fat Free Half & Half)
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Other seasonings you prefer in your eggs (I use Dry Mustard and Seasoning Salt every time!)


Directions:

Heat the oven to 350. In a large skillet heat the potatoes and let them brown. Meanwhile chop the sausage in bite size pieces, and whip together the eggs, cream, and seasonings in a bowl. Once potatoes are golden brown, add in the meat to heat through - just a few minutes. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and using a fork, make 8 figure 8s to combine the eggs with the potatoes and meat.

Place the skillet in the oven for 8 minutes. Once you take the skillet out, sprinkle your fritatta with chopped green onions and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails