Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Kohlrabi and Apple Slaw with Creamy Coleslaw Dressing




You may be saying to yourself, "Self, what in the world is kohlrabi?" Allow me to explain, because I wondered the same thing. Kohlrabi is a German Turnip that can be eaten raw and tastes similar to the stems of broccoli. I am sure some of you will never try this recipe purely because of that. However, I want to encourage you to give it a try...it's loaded with Vitamin C and has a good amount of Potassium. It tastes slightly like a radish and is a very interesting vegetable to peel and cut.

This recipe was given to me at my local Farmer's Market. It sounds strange, combining cream with mustard and sugar with Kohlrabi, but somehow it works. The mint really makes this all come together.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup cream
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon of "good" mustard - I used Grey Poupon
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste
Fresh mint, chopped
1 fresh Kohlrabi, trimmed, peeled, and cut into batons
2 apples, peeled and cut in batons
**The key is to keep the ratio of apples:Kohlrabi equal

Directions:

Whisk the cream into light pillows --- I never saw "pillows" but I did see bubbles. :) This takes a minute or so, you do not need a mixer. Stir in remaining dressing ingredients and pour over the kohlrabi and apples.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails