Thursday, December 23, 2010

Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments

DSC_4199
Even though this is not a recipe you can eat, it's just too cute not to share it with you. Especially because I have been slacking on posting Christmas-y things.



Every year when Christmas time rolls around I worry and worry about what to have my students make for their parents to give as a gift. For busy teachers, this alone can cause a lot of stress, not to mention time! In the past I've had my children make ornaments or picture frames that I buy and the kids assemble with glue. I've worried that they won't withstand the test of time because cheap crafts = cheap presents. So this year I decided to go the completely homemade route. I found these cinnamon applesauce ornaments on a super crafty blog called Add a Pinch. I loved how the ornaments only require three ingredients: cinnamon, applesauce, and white school glue. For a teacher, inexpensive is the key! So I doubled the "large" batch ingredients and had more than enough for my 16 first graders to make their ornaments. I got the idea from Robyn's salt dough ornaments to trace my students' little hands instead of using cookie cutters. I crossed my fingers, made the dough, and prayed that it all worked out. Not only did the hand ornaments turn out, they were so cute! We used toothpicks to cut them out and write the students' names and the year on the ornament. Since I don't really have access to an oven at school, I placed them on wire racks in the windows and turned them every other day. In just 3 days they were dried and ready for ribbon and wrapping. Another bonus to making these ornaments: my classroom smelled like cinnamon for days upon days. I hope some of you will give these a try. If you end up making these, please share with me your results!
DSC_4196
Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments -- Large batch
From Add A Pinch
Printable Version

Ingredients
2 cups ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups applesauce
1/2 cup white glue

Directions
In a large bowl or container combine all ingredients by lightly dusting your hands with cinnamon. Combine until smooth. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. *I found it was much easier to pat the dough out with hands instead of a rolling pin.* Cut out shapes with your favorite cookie cutters. Punch a hole in each ornament for ribbon and if desired write names and the year in the ornaments with a toothpick.
DSC_4200
Place ornaments on parchment paper lined baking sheets. Bake at 1 hour at 150 degrees or air dry on wire racks, for 3-4 days, turning every day. Once dry, string ribbon through the hole.
DSC_4203

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails