Friday, May 27, 2011

Strawberry Vanilla Pancakes

DSC_4842
Fresh strawberries are in full swing here in Virginia and one morning I woke up with a huge yearning for strawberry pancakes. I found this recipe on Every Day with Rachael Ray and was super excited that it called for vanilla extract because I'm always looking for ways to use my homemade vanilla extract.
DSC_4830
My husband, poor guy, does not like strawberries. I feel sorry for him, don't you? He's missing out, but because I love him and because I can't have him going hungry, I made the first batch without strawberries. He took one bite and announced that these were the best pancakes I've ever made. I've made quite a few pancakes, so this declaration was a big deal. I think it was because I tripled the amount of vanilla, making these pancakes actually taste like cake. Thus, I changed the name of the recipe to include vanilla because the vanilla definitely comes through in every bite.
DSC_4300
These pancakes are extremely delicious. They are moist, fluffy, and juicy from the strawberries. If you're feeling really naughty, they'd be even better with a dollop of whipped cream. They're quick and perfect for a Memorial Weekend breakfast!
DSC_4824
Strawberry Vanilla Pancakes
Modified from Every Day with Rachael Ray
Makes 8 large pancakes
Printable Version


Ingredients
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 large egg
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups sliced strawberries
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
Maple syrup and butter for serving


Directions
In a medium bow whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a small owl whisk together the egg, milk, and vanilla. Preheat a nonstick griddle over medium heat. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry. Stir in the melted butter.
DSC_4828
The batter should be thick and smooth. Fold in the strawberries. 
DSC_4833
Spoon the batter onto the griddle 1/4 cup at a time. Cook the pancakes until set and thoroughly bubbly, about 3 minutes. 
DSC_4835
Flip them with a spatula and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes more. Serve with butter and maple syrup.
DSC_4840

4 comments:

  1. These look so yummy! Guess who has strawberries? Yep, we do! Looks like we'll be having these for breakfast tomorrow! :) Oh... and just so you know, I've been adding your vanilla to just about everything! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really great looking yummylicious pancakes! What can I say... may I have a piece? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look very good, but I'm confused as to why there is a bottle of vodka in the picture of ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The vodka is my homemade vanilla extract! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails