Monday, October 11, 2010

Gram's Twist Noodle Salad

Somehow this recipe of my Grandma's didn't make it into the family cookbook we complied a couple of years ago. Thankfully, I asked Gram to dictate it to me one day after eating a big helping of it. I love that my Grandma called Rotini pasta, "twist noodles". She didn't need to know it's exact name to make a yummy, tangy and sweet pasta salad with it. Gram's recipe only called for onions and cucumbers, but I added in tomatoes and broccoli because I had them in the crisper and wanted to use them up. Carrots or peppers would also be great additions to this easy, simple side dish. Like a lot of Gram's recipes, this one needs time to marinate and is best a day or two after you make it.
Aren't my Grandma and Grandpa beautiful in this picture together? This picture was taken on the wedding day of my Great Grandma Barry (Gram's Mom, so my Mom's Grandma). Gram hosted the wedding party at her house. I am in love with this picture, with Gram so elegant and timeless (I want that dress!) and Grandpa so handsome and clean cut. I know this was a very happy day for my Grandma and her Mom. This picture is in a frame next to a picture of my husband and I on our wedding day.
Gram's Twist Noodle Salad

Ingredients
1 lb "twist noodles" (Rotini)
1 1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon pepper
1 tablespoon mustard
1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
1 small white onion, diced
Directions
Boil pasta until al dente. Drain and allow to cool. 
Whisk together sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper, mustard, and garlic salt. 
Combine pasta, cucumbers, and onions in a large bowl. Pour the vinegar/spice mixture over the pasta and veggies and mix throughly. 
Chill in the fridge overnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails