Sunday, October 3, 2010

Gram's Cole Slaw

This cole slaw was a staple in Gram's fridge. I love cole slaw and my Grandm'a cole slaw was definitely my favorite. It's sweet, tangy, and creamy. I love how it has a little bit of this and a little bit of that, which is so classic of my Grandma's cooking. She just eyeballed ingredients and tasted as she went along. So in honor of her I did not use a single measuring cup to make this recipe. 
This picture of my Grandma and Grandpa on their wedding day in 1947. My Grandma was only 16 when she and Grandpa eloped and got married in Indiana. They were married for 61 years and were each other's best friend. Truly amazing if you ask me. 


Grandma's Cole Slaw
Printable Version


Ingredients
3 flat tablespoons sugar
2 heaping tablespoons Hellman's Canola Mayonnaise 
2 heaping tablespoons low fat sour cream
3 green onions, chopped
1/4 of a green pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 or 2 shakes of garlic salt (don't overdo)
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 package of shredded coleslaw mix or 1 head of shredded cabbage with a few carrots shredded 


Directions
Mix all of the ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. 
Taste for sweetness or tanginess and add sugar or vinegar if needed. 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails