Sunday, November 28, 2010

Homemade Bacon & Cheddar Dog Treats

I have no problem admitting that our pug Wendell is extremely spoiled. He goes to Doggie Day Care at least once a week, sleeps in our bed cuddled up in between hubby and I, and he gets LOTS of treats. Since pugs have a tendency to pack on the pounds, especially in the winter when they may not get as much exercise, I am picky about the treats Wendell gets. I buy treats with natural ingredients so when I saw this recipe for homemade treats with whole wheat flour on Delish, I thought they'd be perfect for my baby. I made these one weekend we dog sat for our neigbor's dog, Bella. Bella and Wendell both seemed to love these treats. One batch made a ton of treats, and after a week or so I noticed mold on some of treats and had to throw them out, so next time I will either halve this recipe or give half of it away to Wendell's doggie friends. 
On a side note, does anyone know where I can find dog bone cookie cutters? I have looked and looked and looked to no avail.
Bacon & Cheddar Dog Treats
From Delish
Printable Version


Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup bacon fat, melted
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup milk
2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil


Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. 
Flour work surface. Roll dough to 1/3 inch thickness. Dough will be greasy/oily but should roll easily. 
Cut into desired shape.
Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes until firm. Cool and then store in an airtight container. Share with your favorite doggies. 


11 comments:

  1. What a great recipe, I adding it to my facebook right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! The pictures of the dogs looking up at the treat was too cute.

    Dog bone cutters, I have seen them at Michael's & I think Hobby Lobby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to bake some of these treats for my pug, Bella, this afternoon. I shall halve the batch and store some in the freezer to prevent them going moldy (thanks for noting that).

    I bought my diggie bone cutters from Bulk Barn (Canada) but I'd think any cake/baking supplies would sell them.

    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I don't know if you're still looking for cute cookie cutters, but I happened across a great website last night looking for some.
    The link is http://www.sweetartfactory.com/

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to add this advice: Leave the baked treats out to air dry for SEVERAL DAYS before storing them in a baggie or tin. They have to be very dry to prevent the mold from forming. Dogs don't care if their treats are hard. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Note: Once treats in oven start turning golden brown & appear to be drying out, remove from oven and turn off, then let treats cool to room temp. Once cool, pile all of them on one cookie sheet & place back in oven for an additional hour to overnight, allowing them to thoroughly dry out. Since this recipe contains milk and cheese, it would be best to refrigerate/freeze any treats that are not immediately used. To make treats even healthier, try substituting wheat flour for rye, oat, rice, etc. You can even boost nutritional value by adding ground flax seed, sprinkling with nutritional yeast, or adding parsley (freshens breath). Happy baking! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips and ideas on variations for the recipe!

      Delete
  7. Hobby lobby is where we got our dog bone cut outs. If that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we got dog bone cut outs at pet smart they come 3 different sizes for 9.99 hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  9. I purchased some bulk dog treats from CassCo Bio Labs and I absolutely love them. I am definitely going to try your recipe too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails