Monday, November 15, 2010

Baked Acorn Squash

I'm just now getting my act together in terms of "fall" food posts. Since my hubby was working out of state for six weeks this fall, we didn't sign up for the CSA at our local Farmer's Market and I've really missed cooking with fresh, local ingredients.  I must apologize for slacking on posting seasonal "fall" produce recipes. Therefore I now give you Classic Baked Acorn Squash. This is my absolute favorite way to cook acorn squash. The maple syrup, brown sugar, and butter caramelize while the squash is baking. It's pretty darn perfect. 
Baked Acorn Squash
From Simply Recipes
Printable Version


Ingredients
1 Acorn Squash
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons maple syrup
dash of salt
dash of pepper


Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the acorn squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff from the center. Score the insides of each half several times with a sharp knife. 
Place each half in a baking pan, cut side up. Add about 1/4 inch of water to the bottom of the pan so the skins won't burn. Coat the inside of each 1/2 with a 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Add in a tablespoon of brown sugar to the cavity of each half. 
Drizzle in a teaspoon of maple syrup in each. Bake for 1 hour until the squash is very soft and the tops are browned. Allow to cool before serving.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley - I did a similar post with almost the same recipe. I hope you'll try pure maple syrup some time - I bet you love it even more!

    :)
    ButterYum
    http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2010/01/maple-glazed-acorn-squash.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really similar to what my mom makes... I just made it a week or two ago. Perfect fall dish! I agree with ButterYum though, Pure maple syrup makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips on pure maple syrup ladies, I really should start buying that for my pancakes and waffles anyway!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails