Sunday, February 27, 2011

Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal

DSC_4466
Oatmeal is such a great breakfast. It's healthy, filling, and quick. This baked oatmeal is perfect for weekday mornings when you're in a rush. It kicks the butt of the Quaker Oat envelopes I usually eat! I'd seen Baked Oatmeal on several blogs but Megan's sold me. She gives so many different variations it was hard for me to choose. I went with the Apple Pie version because I wanted to use fresh fruit and because Apple Pie is just too yummy sounding not to try. I also added in chopped pecans for a little crunch. This baked oatmeal is super easy, very comforting, and delicious when heated up with a little milk. When cut into squares, baked oatmeal also travels well for an easy snack. I'm going to try Megan's peanut butter recipe next.  
DSC_4439
Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal
From Food and Whine
Printable Version


Ingredients
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons flax seed meal
1/4 cup honey or brown sugar
3/4 cup milk (I used Vanilla Almond Milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla (my Homemade Vanilla Extract is pictured in the vodka bottle)
1 egg
1 tablespoon melted butter (I omitted this accidentally and couldn't taste a difference!)
1 diced apple
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon cinnamon
DSC_4441
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix wet ingredients separately and add to the dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 8X8 pan. Cook for 20-25 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Will keep for about a week if covered in an airtight container.
DSC_4447

3 comments:

  1. YUM! What's the vodka for? My kinda breakfast, lol!
    I can't wait to try all the different varieties out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE baked oatmeal. I might need to try her peaches and cream one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just did baked oatmeal the other day! I tried subbing maple syrup for the honey and it was a little runny, but definitely tasty with the last of our summer strawberries from the freezer!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails