Sunday, February 6, 2011

Meatless Muffalettas

DSC_4355
Thank goodness for Tasty Kitchen! Toward the end of January I was running out of ideas for vegetarian meals to make at home, so I turned to Tasty Kitchen for inspiration. I was so happy when came across these Meatless Muffalettas from Three Many Cooks because I've been wanting to make Muffalettas at home anyway! Muffalettas are an Italian sandwich that originated in New Orleans. The traditional Muffaletta is layered with Italian salami, ham, and provolone cheese, then topped with olive salad. This vegetarian take on the Muffaletta replaces the meat with marinated veggies but still incorporates the olive salad and cheeses. It was over the top delicious! My husband, who loves meat sandwiches, was a huge fan of this sandwich. The olive salad really makes this sandwich. I ate it two days in a row and the second day added banana peppers because they are my favorite sandwich topping. I think next time I make it I will use sliced cheese instead of cutting a block of cheese into chunks, but other than that, I wouldn't change a thing!
DSC_4327
Meatless Muffalettas
Makes 4 sandwiches

Ingredients
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup capers
1 cup drained black olives
1 cup drained pimento stuffed olives
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped celery hearts
4 whole Portuguese rolls, split (I used ciabatta bread)
4 slices each of mozzarella, provolone, and pepper jack cheese
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 jar (14 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
3/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, packed in oil, chopped

Directions
Mince garlic in a food processor. Add in capers and pulse to chop. Add olives, vinegar, and oregano. 
DSC_4329
Pulse to chop again. Scoop into a medium sized bowl and stir in olive oil and celery. (This salad can be refrigerated in an airtight container for several weeks.)
DSC_4333
When ready to make sandwiches, spread 2 tablespoons of the olive salad on the cut side of each half roll.
DSC_4338
Divide cheese evenly between bread. 
DSC_4341
On the bottom half of each sandwich arrange artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes and onion slices. 
DSC_4349
Place sandwich halves together. Halve crosswise on the diagonal and serve. 
DSC_4356

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, it looks good! I think I may try to make this next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous treat, Love the flavor combo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! So glad you enjoyed it. You don't even miss the meat, do you?! GREAT POST!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails