Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Skinny Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins

I just love a good blueberry muffin and love trying new variations on them. I wanted to find one that incorporated oatmeal because oats and blueberries and just so delicious together. One of my absolute favorite blogs Skinny Taste posted this recipe called Insanely Good Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins and with a name like that, I was sold! 
I made these larger than the standard muffin size because I wanted to give them as a welcome gift to our new neighbors. They told me how yummy they thought they were and I agreed! They are moist and dense but still have a wonderful texture. Even better -- they are low fat! Perfect in the morning with a big cup of hot coffee or a cold glass of milk, or in my case, both!
Skinny Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
From Gina at Skinny Taste 
Makes 12 standard size muffins
Printable Version
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1 cup milk (almond or skim milk)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (I didn't have any on hand so used white sugar)
1 tablespoons honey (or agave)
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon vanilla (my homemade vanilla extract is pictured in vodka bottle)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries
Baking spray

Directions
Preheat oven to 400. Line a muffin tin with liners and lightly spray with oil. Place oats in a food processor or copper and pulse a few times. Soak oats in milk for about 30 minutes. 
In a medium bowl combine the brown sugar, honey, apple sauce, vanilla, egg whites, oil and mix well. In a third bowl combine whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and whisk to combine. Combine oats/milk mixture with sugar/apple sauce mixture and mix will. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Fold in the blueberries, saving a couple to place on top. 
Spoon into liners and bake for 22-24 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 
Allow to cool on a wire rack. Keep in an airtight container. These taste great even the next day!

1 comment:

  1. I have never put oatmeal in my muffins. Such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails