Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Turnip Mashed Potatoes


I've made these turnip mashed potatoes once before and the hubby loved them. Since I only had 2 potatoes but a lot of turnips on hand the day I made Perfect Pot Roast I decided to have a second go at them. This is most definitely not the healthiest side dish. It is, after all, from Paula Deen the Queen of Cream and Butter. But having Pot Roast without mashed potatoes is absolutely unacceptable. These mashed potatoes are fabulously easy, super creamy and it's a great twist on classic mashed potatoes.

Turnip Mashed Potatoes
from Paula Deen
Ingredients:
6 large red new potatoes, skin on (I used two large brown potatoes)
2 large turnips, peeled (I used several small turnips)
1/2 cup cream, heated (I used fat free half and half and 1% milk)
1 stick butter, melted (I used all of this!)
1/2 cup sour cream (Didn't have on hand, so omitted)
Salt and pepper
Directions:
Slice potatoes and turnips 1/4 inch thick. Cook in boiling water for 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain. Whip unpeeled cooked potatoes and turnips with an electric mixer until moderately smooth. Don't overbeat them; a few lumps are nice. Add hot cream, butter, and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Whip again until blended. Adjust thickness by adding more cream if desired. 



1 comment:

  1. I Love Paula Deen! I have never cooked a turnip in my life, but I want to try with this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails