Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Easy Refrigerator Pickles

Pickles are, without a doubt, one of the world's greatest creations. I seriously CRAVE pickles and eat them all the time. In fact, I should buy stock in Claussen Dill Pickles - I eat enough of them to be a stockholder. Since I eat so many pickles I decided it was time to try my hand at homemade pickles. Growing up, I could count on eating pickles at both of my Grandmothers' houses. Like clockwork, my Grandma H served bread and butter pickles with sandwiches (made on her homemade bread) and my Grandma Walters always had homemade sweet pickles in a container in her fridge. In sum, these refrigerator pickles I found on Tasty Kitchen had a lot to live up to...and they did! I was really happy with these pickles. I ate them everyday (after the 24 hour mark, like instructions called for) and thought they were even better after a week. I didn't have glass quart jars and just used a large plastic container, which worked perfectly, but didn't look as cute as they could have in the glass Ball jars. You can store these babies for up to 6 months - they wouldn't last that long in my fridge though!


Easy Refrigerator Pickles
From Suzanne aka The Coloradolady
Ingredients
6 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
2 cups thinly sliced onions
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon Mustard Seed
1/2 tablespoon Celery Seed
1/2 teaspoon Ground Turmeric
3/4 teaspoons minced garlic
Crushed Red Pepper (optional and to taste)


Directions
In 2 glass quart jars (or large container of your choice) alternate layers of sliced cucumbers and onions. Add minced garlic to each jar and if using crushed red pepper, add also. In a medium saucepan combine sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard seed, celery seed, and ground turmeric. Bring to a boil, stirring just until sugar is dissolved. Pour vinegar mixture on top of cucumbers/onion mixture and cool slightly.
Cover tightly, shaking jar to mix and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails