Thursday, September 2, 2010

Coconut Flan

After making my first flan (Spanish Flan with Blueberries) a couple of weeks ago, and realizing how incredibly easy and delicious flans are, I had been wanting to make another one. I decided to try out Paula Deen's Coconut Flan when my Mom, Aunt Chris, and cousin Lindsey came to visit. They all have huge sweet tooth like me and my Mom and Aunt Chris really love coconut so I knew this recipe would be a hit with them. 


I was disappointed that this flan didn't set up as well as my first flan did. I even cooked it about 10 minutes longer than the recipe called for and it was still very runny. Regardless of the loose texture, the flavor was still incredibly creamy and coconuty (there I go making up another word again). Lots of people rave about this recipe on Food Network.com so even though mine wasn't the flan perfection I was hoping for, it's still a great recipe and I am still very much hooked on flan. 
Coconut Flan
From Paula Deen 


Printable Version 


Ingredients
1/3 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut flakes
Whipped cream, for garnish
1/4 cup coconut flakes, for garnish


Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the sugar until it caramelizes. Pour it into a flan dish, pie plate, or round souffle baking dish with shallow sides, swirling it around to coat the bottom. 
In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until foamy with a wire whisk. Beat in the condensed milk, vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup coconut. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. It will need to bake in a water-bath in the oven. Set the dish into a large baking pan with sides and carefully pour water around the flan to come 2/3 the way up the sides. Carefully transfer to the preheated oven. Bake for about 1 hour, until the flan is set and the center only jiggles a little bit, like a cheesecake would. Remove from the oven and water-bath and allow to cool completely. Turn the flan out onto a flat serving platter. Cut into slices for serving. Garnish with whipped cream and toasted coconut. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails