Monday, April 25, 2011

Meatless Mondays: Gnocchi with Tomato Basil Cream Sauce

DSC_4528
I came up with the idea for my third Meatless Monday dish when I looked in my pantry and saw a package of gnocchi and a can of diced tomatoes. I looked around and found this recipe on Allrecipes.com. I decided to go with it because it included diced onions and basil. The results were a creamy, tangy, very tasty sauce. It was great with the gnocchi, but would work with any pasta of your choice. This recipe is quick, simple, and great for a weeknight meal.
DSC_4514
Gnocchi with Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
From AllRecipes.com
Printable Version


Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 white onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon basil (I used frozen basil and added it to sauce with tomatoes)
3/4 tablespoon white sugar
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream (I used fat free half & half)
1 tablespoon butter
1 package gnocchi


Directions
In a large saucepan saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat and allow to soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes in their juice, sugar, oregano, and salt and pepper. 
DSC_4515
Bring to a boil and continue to boil for five minutes, or until most of the liquid evaporates. Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add gnocchi. Cook as directed on package. Remove tomato sauce from heat and stir in cream and butter. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for five more minutes.
DSC_4519
 Pour over gnocchi and garnish with basil. 
DSC_4524

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness woman, that sauce looks so flavorful. Love the vibrant color of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do NOT like gnocchi, but you make this look so wonderfully edible!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails