Sunday, June 12, 2011

Strawberry Spinach Salad with Turkey Bacon and Caramelized Onions

DSC_5019
When I decided to make this salad with strawberries and spinach, I knew I had to make it more appealing to my husband who completely despises fruit in his salads. I had turkey bacon on hand, and knew that adding it to the salad would help entice him. Then I decided to caramelize the onions in the pan after I cooked the bacon and guess what? The bacon and caramelized onions definitely did the trick.  Hubby gobbled this salad up! I added toasted pecans and whipped up a very simple vinaigrette with blueberry balsamic vinegar and olive oil. It was a darn good salad if I do say so myself!
DSC_5014
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Turkey Bacon and Caramelized Onions
An Ashley's Cooking Adventures Original
Printable Version
Ingredients
2 cups spinach
1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
4 slices turkey bacon
1/2 white or yellow onion, slices into rings
1/2 cup pecans
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup blueberry balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
DSC_4999
Directions
Heat one 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet and cook the turkey bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon and allow to cool, but leave the oil in the pan.
DSC_5005
Add the onion slices to the pan and heat pan to medium high heat. Allow to cook on both sides until browned and caramelized. 
DSC_5008
Remove onions and allow to cool a bit. Meanwhile toast pecans in a small separate pan for about 3 minutes, making sure to toss frequently. 
DSC_5002
Place spinach and strawberries in a serving dish for the salad. Whisk the olive oil and balsamic vinegar together, adding salt and pepper to taste.
DSC_5003
Place the bacon, onions, and pecans on the salad and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. 
DSC_5017

1 comment:

  1. WOW..this salad sounds amazing, I love everything in it and I am not a salad fan at all.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails