Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Asparagus-Wild Mushroom Risotto with Parmesan





I have become quite fond of risotto. I like how it is creamy, filling, and the fact that there are about 300 million different risotto variations. I found this recipe on Foodnetwork.com. It's a recipe from Robin Miller, and although I consider myself a Food Network fan, I've honestly never heard of her. She must be on during the day when I'm at work? Regardless, her recipe was fantastic. The combination of mushrooms, fresh asparagus, and fresh parsley was really scrumptious. It made such a huge batch that my husband and I ate it as our main course and the hubs couldn't stop complimenting it. He made sure to ask if he could take some leftovers for lunch the next day, too! That's when I know a recipe is a hit!

Ingredients

  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 shallots, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 2 teaspoons pre-minced garlic)
  • 8 cups sliced wild mushrooms (any combination of shiitake, cremini, oyster, etc). **I only used 2 cups and it was more than enough mushrooms!!!
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 cups cooked Arborio rice **This is important, be sure your rice is cooked before you start this recipe!
  • 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
  • 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen asparagus spears (1-inch pieces)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • Salt and ground black pepper

Directions

Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook 1 minute. Add mushrooms and saute 5 minutes, until tender and releasing juice. Add thyme and cook 1 minute, until fragrant.

To the mushrooms in the pot, add rice and broth and asparagus and bring to a simmer. Simmer 5 minutes, Stir in Parmesan and chopped parsley. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper. Ladle risotto into bowls and serve hot.


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Risotto too... I make an asparagus one and just made a mushroom one on Saturday, but I've never made one with both, sounds (and looks) tasty! I've also never made risotto with already cooked rice, I've always done it the old fashioned way. How do you usually go about cooking it first? Have you noticed it turns out different when the rice is cooked first or is it about the same?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually didn't cook the risotto beforehand! I had to add in extra beef stock like the old fashioned way. I breeze through recipes too fast sometimes, this is one example!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails