Sunday, January 17, 2010

Grandma W's Crab Salad






I must preface this post by stating that this is my absolute, 100%, undeniably favorite thing that my Grandma Walter's makes. I love it so much, in fact, that my Grandma would make it special just for me when she knew I would be visiting or for family potlucks. Grandma has oodles of original, tried and true recipes that anyone in our family could list off. Everyone has their personal favorites, my Mom's is Grandma's red velvet cake, my Dad's is her bread pudding, my husband's is her eewey, gooey mac and cheese, but mine is her Crab Salad. Gram would make a batch for me when I visited her from college, and I would take it back to college and hide it from my roommates because I wanted every morsel of it to myself. That is how much I love her crab salad.

I've tried to make it several times, but it's impossible to replicate. One reason is because Gram uses Hellmans' canola mayonnaise and I've never bought that in my life. I use the olive oil reduced fat mayo and it's just not the same. I think the next time I try this recipe, I'll splurge and buy the real deal mayo.

I love to eat this salad with buttery crackers or toasted on an English muffin, but Gram served it all by itself as a side dish.

Grandma Walter's Crab Salad
**Note: Grandma doesn't cook with measuring spoons or cups, she does "a little bit of this, a dash of that, etc." so this recipe is in approximate measurements. :)

Ingredients:

24 ounces of imitation crab chunks
1/2 cup chopped green pepper - I used a whole green pepper and it was too much!
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 tablespoon of chopped green onions
4 chopped Roma tomatoes

Dressing:
3/4 cups Mayonnaise
3 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of dill weed
2 tablespoons of milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix dressing together and toss over the combined crab and veggies. This recipe can be made the day before and is actually better if it sits and "marinades" for several hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails