Thursday, January 21, 2010

Vegetable Quiche



As many of you know, I have a little addiction to eggs. I attribute this to my father, who makes the best omlettes in the world and spoiled me with them on an almost weekly basis growing up. I love going home and having my Daddy make me eggs. He taught me that eggs are delicious with just about any vegetable or meat you have on hand. My past roommates would look quizically at my egg concoctions (my dear friend Neile still makes fun of my egg obssesion) and I know my husband gets tired of hearing, "Do you want some eggs?" The poor guy eats them more than he probably would like to, but when I'm in charge of the meal planning and preparation, he doesn't have much choice.

This weekend as I peered into our fridge at our dwindling groceries, wondering what to make for dinner, a light bulb went off. I had a lone frozen pie crust, a bunch of vegetables, and of course, lots of eggs...thus I give you Vegetable Quiche!

I based if off a recipe from our Better Homes and Garden cookbook, which recommends using cooked ham, chicken, or crabmeat, but since I didn't have any of those available, I just threw in the fresh veggies that we had on hand.

Quiche

Ingredients:
1 frozen pie shell
4 beaten eggs
1 cup half and half, light cream, or milk
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Dash of nutmeg
3/4 cup chopped veggies (I used tomatoes and mushrooms) or meat of your choice
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used freshly grated Parmesan, but you can use Swiss, cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Havarti)
1 tablespoon flour

Directions:

1. In a medium bowl stir together eggs, half and half, green onions, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in meat or veggies.

2. In a small bowl combine cheese and flour. Add to egg mixture and mix well.

3. Pour egg mixture into pie shell and bake in a 325 oven for 40 - 45 minutes or a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails