Friday, January 29, 2010

Banana Bread

My mom makes really good banana bread. When she makes it, she uses mini loaf pans and the slices are perfect for just popping into your mouth. I loved eating it for breakfast with peanut butter and a big glass of milk.  The bread is moist, subtly banana flavored, and as I found today, super easy to make.  We had a bunch of organic bananas that had gotten too ripe to eat, but I didn't want them to go to waste, so I asked my mom to share her recipe with me. I didn't have any nuts on hand, but next time will try it with walnuts or pecans.
Today as I smelled it baking and enjoyed a piece smothered with chunky peanut butter, I felt like I was back at my mom's kitchen in Michigan. Thanks for the recipe, Mom! I love you.

Mom's Banana Bread

Ingredients:
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
4 over ripe bananas
1/2 cup sugar (white or brown)
2 eggs
1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (Mom didn't have this in her recipe, I decided to add it in since I love nutmeg!)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. This recipe will make 24 muffins (bake for 20-30 minutes), four mini loaves (bake for 45 minutes) or 1 9X5X3 loaf of bread (bake for 1 hour).

Process bananas in food processor until smooth and set aside. Process butter and sugar until creamed, then add in eggs and juice. Process until mixed, then add the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and mix well. Add in bananas and mix together. Pour into greased pan and bake according to times above. Toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean when baking is complete.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails