Friday, January 15, 2010

Pulled Chicken BBQ




Now that we live in the south, and great BBQ is abundant, I actually have cravings for BBQ. I decided to try my own BBQ and found this pulled chicken sandwich recipe from Rachael Ray. Pulling the chicken took WAY longer than I thought it would, adding a lot of time to a recipe that is supposed to be less than an hour.

Instead of serving it like a sandwich, I turned it into a stuffed baked potato, adding sliced green onions and sour cream on top of the BBQ and cheese. If you've never tried BBQ on a baked potato, I highly recommend it...but maybe it's because I'm just a Midwestern potato-loving girl.

Rachael Ray's Pulled Chicken BBQ


INGREDIENTS:

  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 2 pounds)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1-1/3 cups barbecue sauce
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • Hot pepper sauce
  • 6 kaiser or French rolls, split - obviously, I used a baked potato instead!
  • 6 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 1-1/2 cups)

  • DIRECTIONS:



  • Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in a heave pot with the onion, garlic, and just enough water to cover (about 1 1/2 cups) Add the barbecue sauce, vinegar, and a few drops of hot sauce. Bring to a boil. heavy pot with the onion, garlic and just enough water to cover (about 1-1/2 cups). Add the barbecue sauce, vinegar and a few drops hot sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the sauce and shred with two forks.

  • Boil the sauce, skimming occasionally, until reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the shredded chicken and heat through. Spoon the mixture onto the rolls (or potato) :) and top with the cheese.

2 comments:

  1. This looks really good! And great idea putting it on a baked potato! I'm a potato loving girl as well, but not a sandwich girl so this would be perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried it this evening for dinner on slimwich buns. It smelled so good simmering on the stove. The only problem I had was I didn't take off enough of the liquid so it was a touch too runny, but the slotted spoon came in very handy! The chicken still tasted delicious.
    Thanks for the idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails