Friday, December 16, 2011

Week of Holiday Treats: Almond Bars


DSC_0157
I have so many goodies to share with you for the holidays that I decided for the next week I will only post yummy treats. Today I am starting with my Aunt Chris' Almond Bars. These bars are a family favorite and every time Aunt Chris makes them they're gone in a flash. Pure almond paste is the shining star in this recipe. I had never bought it before and still haven't! A friend who was moving gave me a can of it (Thanks Racheal!) and right then and there I knew I had to make Almond Bars. 
DSC_0125
These bars are like a thick almond sugar cookie bars, sprinkled with toasted almonds. I brought these to a neighbor's going away party and everyone complimented me on them. Perfect for the Holidays when you are tired of chocolate and frosting (if you get tired of chocolate and frosting that is!).
DSC_0162
Almond Bars
From my Auntie Chris
Ingredients
1 cup butter or margarine
8 ounces almond paste
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt (I omitted this since I used butter that had salt)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds
DSC_0122
Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly spray a 9X13 pan with cooking spray. Cream together butter and almond paste, beat in sugar and eggs. Add in flour and salt. Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with almonds. 
DSC_0135
Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack and and cut into bars. 
DSC_0147

1 comment:

  1. I scored a mother load of Solo Almond Paste one year at the grocery store - they were marked down to only $1 per can. Needless to say, I purchased them all and made lots of yummy almond treats that year. Thanks for sharing this recipe - pinning it!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails