Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Week of Holiday Treats: Peppermint Snickerdoodles


DSC_0092
Last week I participated in my first holiday cookie swap.  It required that I make six dozen cookies. I've never made so many cookies in my life! I decided to modify my favorite cookie recipe, Snickerdoodles, by rolling them in crushed peppermint. 
DSC_0056
The result was a festive and yummy cookie and one that I think I will add to my Holiday baking in the future.
DSC_0097
Peppermint Snickerdoodles
Makes 2 dozen cookies
Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Six candy canes or peppermint sticks, crushed
DSC_0055
Directions
In a stand mixer or medium sized mixing bowl beat the butter with electric mixer on high speed for 30 seconds or until creamed. Add the 1 cup of sugar, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in the flour slowly until mixture is throughly combined. Cover and chill the dough for about 1 hour or until easy to handle. Preheat the oven to 375. Combine the 1 tablespoon of sugar, cinnamon, and crushed peppermint in a small bowl. 
DSC_0064
Shape the dough into 1 inch balls. Roll each ball in the peppermint mixture to coat. 
DSC_0078
Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. 
DSC_0081
Bake for 10 - 11 minutes until the edges of the cookies are golden. Transfer to wire rack and let cool. 
DSC_0087

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails