Friday, February 19, 2010

30 Things to Make Before I Turn 30: Sweet Potato Soup






When I received a few sweet potatoes in our recent CSA bag I was elated to be able to cross of another item from my list of 30 things I want to make before I turn 30. I came across this recipe on Simply Recipes.com. I am a huge fan of sweet potatoes but unfortunately they are one the few things the hubby won't eat. I thought I might be able to entice my husband to try this soup because the recipe calls for onions, celery, and leeks, all things he does like. I was right! He actually liked this soup and went back for seconds. If I can get him to eat sweet potatoes I know for sure this recipe is a winner.


The author of the recipe said they serve it at Thanksgiving, but I think this soup is great for these cold, gray seemingly endless winter days in February. It's creamy and has nice notes of sweetness from the maple syrup, nutmeg, and cinnamon and earthy flavor from the sweet potatoes. I used a whole onion instead of just a cup and added in more celery and leeks for the hubby.
Sweet Potato Soup

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 medium leek, sliced (white and pale green parts only)
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1 1/2 pounds (about 5 cups) of red skinned sweet potatoes, peeled, and cut into 1 inch pieces
4 cups chicken stock or broth (can used vegetable broth for a vegetarian option)
1 cinnamon stick 
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups half and half 
1 tablespoons maple syrup
The leafy tops of celery stalks, chopped
Directions:
Melt the butter in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and saute for about 5 minutes. Add in the chopped celery stalks and leek and saute for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
Add sweet potatoes, chicken stock, cinnamon stick, and nutmeg;bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Remove cinnamon stick and discard. Puree soup (using immersion blender, use a blender and work in batches) until the soup is smooth. 
Add in the half and half and maple syrup. Stir over medium-low heat to heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. This soup can be prepared 1 day ahead. 
Serve with celery leaves sprinkled on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails