Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Southern Turnip Supreme

My husband and I signed up for the winter CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) at our local Farmer's Market and received several large turnips in our last goodie bag. I wanted to find an new turnip recipe, as even though the Turnip Gratin I made was absolutely delicious, it's not on our Spring Break healthy eating diet. I came across this recipe on  All Recipes, a super cool website that has a ton of recipes that are reviewed by home cooks who have actually tried it. I love that! This Southern Turnip Supreme recipe received 4 out of 5 stars and looked very easy and quick. Plus, with a name like, "Southern Supreme" I knew it was going to be belly warming good! So I went for it and am glad that I did! I don't know if it was this certain batch of turnips or the method that I cooked them, but they seemed sweeter in this recipe than in the gratin. My husband commented that he really liked the texture of the turnips in this dish. Since you boil and simmer them for 20 minutes they come out perfect...not too mushy, not too crunchy. The best part of this dish is the ooey gooey cheddar cheese that melts on the top. You only need half a cup, so this recipe is for the most part very healthy!
Southern Turnip Supreme

Ingredients:

  • 1 cube vegetable bouillon
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 cups peeled, cubed turnips
  • 1/4 cup minced onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sour cream - I completely forgot this and the recipe was still fantastic!
  • 1/2 cup shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
  • chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
Directions: 
Place the vegetable bouillon cube into a saucepan with the water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until the bouillon cube dissolves, about 1 minute. Stir in the turnips, onion, and garlic, return to a boil, and cook the mixture until the turnips are tender, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until most of the liquid has been evaporated, 10 to 15 more minutes.
Lightly stir in the sour cream to coat the turnips. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and top with shredded Cheddar cheese and parsley.

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried a turnip, but this recipe sounds pretty yummy. This may make it to the table next week as a "new" dish. Tony & the girls never know what's next! :-)

    Did you serve it as your main dish or was it used as a side dish?

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to have a few meals a week with no meat, so I served it with a cabbage salad and called it a meal!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails