Monday, February 8, 2010

30 Things to Make Before I Turn 30: Salsa Two Ways


Homemade salsa is the first item I get to cross of my list of 30 Things to Make Before I Turn 30. I decided to make two different types of salsa for Superbowl Sunday. The first recipe is from my Dearest Auntie Chris, who is a phenomenal cook. This salsa recipe is super easy and only requires throwing a bunch of things together, so it really isn't a true testimony to the excellent cook my Aunt Chris is. Regardless, this salsa is always a hit at our family get togethers. People chow down on it and the people in my Mom's family love to eat!! I love how the fresh chopped cilantro really shines through in this salsa and the crunch of the onion is a great balance to the corn and black beans.

Aunt Chris's Black Bean & Corn Salsa

Ingredients
1 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 small purple onion, chopped
Chopped garlic to taste (I used three cloves because we are big garlic fans)
1/2 bunch chopped cilantro
1 jar of salsa

Directions
Mix all ingredients together. Chopped avocado may be added too, but the salsa will not last as long. 



The second salsa that I made was an adaptation of a salsa recipe that the mom of a former student, Jody, sent me. It's a bunch of fresh ingredients that make the salsa super delicious.  Another great thing about this salsa is that it keeps for up to 8 days.

Mexican Salsa

Ingredients
32 ounces of canned tomatoes
3 jalapeno peppers (I took the seeds out, but if you like heat, keep them in)
1/4 teaspoon of salt
3 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 diced onion
1/2 tablespoon fresh oregano 
1/2 bunch cilantro
Directions
Blend all ingredients but the cilantro together in blender or food processor. Add in cilantro last. 





1 comment:

  1. I can't believe we both made salsas for the super bowl either! Must be a dip type of day! Both of yours look tasty. I am definitely going to try the black bean and corn one, I love both black beans and corn, so a salsa containing both of them is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails