Friday, June 18, 2010

Avocado Shrimp Ceviche


When my husband and I were in Mexico this spring I tried shrimp ceviche for the first time. I really liked the fresh flavors: the combination of fresh shrimp with tomatoes, lime, avocado, and cilantro. I ate it on vacation almost every day. I decided to attempt making my own shrimp ceviche and was surprised at how similar it tasted to the one I loved so much in Mexico. This refreshing, cool recipe is wonderful for an appetizer or a light meal, especially in the summer. 

Avocado Shrimp Ceviche
Ingredients
2 pounds large shrimp - peeled, deveined, and chopped (I went the easy route and bought cooked shrimp at the fish counter)
3/4 cup fresh lime juice
5 roma tomatoes, diced
1 white onion, chopped
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I'm a wimp and omitted this)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
Saltine crackers or Tortilla chips (I used Tostitos Scoops)
**I cut this recipe in half since just my hubby and I ate it

Directions
Place the shrimp and lime juice into a large bowl and stir to coat. Let stand for about 5 minutes or until the shrimp are opaque. The lime juice will cook them. Mix in the tomatoes, onion, and cilantro until coated with lime juice. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Remove from the fridge and mix in the Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, hot, sauce, and salt and pepper.  Set out extra Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, hot sauce, and lime wedges for people to individualize to their liking. Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails