Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fresh Green Pea Salad with Bacon and Red Potatoes


Have you ever spent close to an hour shucking fresh peas? I have and let me tell you, it's not fun, but it's totally worth it! One of our CSA goodie bags this spring contained a huge amount of fresh May Peas still in their pods. This recipe for Fresh Green Pea salad was also in our goodie bag and since one of the chief ingredients is bacon I knew my hubby would approve of this for dinner on a night that I just didn't have the energy to cook a bunch of things. I plopped myself down in front of a TiVOed show and set about opening up countless pea pods. The result was big, beautiful and incredibly flavorful fresh peas.

I decided to add in boiled red potatoes to make this a more filling "meal" and I am really glad I did. This salad is creamy, salty and the combination of fresh peas, crumbled bacon, chives and potatoes make every bite a little different. 


Fresh Green Pea Salad with Bacon and Red Potatoes
Ingredients
3 cups fresh green peas or 10 ounces of frozen, thawed peas
4 to 5 slices of crisply cooked bacon, crumbled
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped green onions or chives
6 boiled potatoes, sliced into bite sized pieces
salt and pepper to taste
mint or fresh dill, if desired (I didn't have any on hand but I'm sure it would have been even better with one of these!)
Directions

Cook peas until barely tender. Drain well and chill. 
Combine all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails