Monday, August 16, 2010

Pizza Pudgy Pie

My husband and I went on our first true camping trip this weekend. We've "camped" one other time during a road trip in northern California, but the experience was really just sleeping in a tent - we pitched the tent, then left and went out to dinner! This time we took camping to an extreme (extreme for me - I'm more of a hotel girl!) because we canoed for 6 hours to the site and it was a rustic site. No running water, no bathroom, no electricity, no fire pit. Because this was hubby's chance to prove to me that camping is not only enjoyable, but something we can do again, we planned and prepped for several days before the camping expedition began. This preparation included going to Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World for camping items I had no idea even existed...a traveling salt and pepper shaker, an LCD light to hook on our dog's collar, a dry bag, and the most important purchase: a double pie iron.


I faintly remember eating a fruit filled pie cooked over the fire at Girl Scout camp, but that was eons ago, so I consulted an experienced camper - my friend Kim who camps with her family.  Kim shared with me a Pudgy Pie link that showed how pudgy pies are made and includes recipes. By the way, pudgy pies are also called hobo pies or mountain pies - it seems that everyone has a different name for it! I decided on making pizzas in the double pie iron for dinner and they turned out pretty darn good for our first time. Kim warned me that we might burn the first couple pies because it's hard to gauge the temperature, but I took them off the fire after about 3 minutes on each side and they were cooked all the way through. They tasted great - like a grilled cheese pizza. One thing I learned as I went was that the sauce made the bread stick to the iron, so next time (yes, hubby passed the test and we had a really great time so there will definitely be a next time) I know to put the ingredients on the bread first and the sauce on top. 
Pizza Pudgy Pie
Printable Version


Ingredients
Bread
Tomato sauce
Your favorite pizza toppings - we used pepperoni, mushrooms, and onions
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Butter
Double sided pie iron
Hot fire
Wilderness (optional)
Directions
Butter one side of the bread and put that side down facing the iron. Pile on the pizza toppings and put the sauce on last. Close the pie iron and place in the fire. Grill each side for about 3 minutes. Open up the iron and allow to cool before enjoying.

3 comments:

  1. When I lived in PA we called those Mountain Pies. I haven't had one in years, but they are so good. Try apples or PBJ next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're tougher than me! Someone gave us a tent this year and it's still in the bag. Sounds like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, looks so yummy!
    Just popping in to say you're welcome to post that granola bar recipe.
    Take care,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails