Sunday, August 29, 2010

Warm Caramelized Onion Dip

I was looking for a new appetizer to make when my family came to town so I scoured some of my favorite blogs. This caramelized onion dip from Elizabeth's Edible Experience jumped out at me. Hubby and I love onions and I thought that the combination of onion and cream cheese as a dip sounded yummy. It was a very good appetizer. Elizabeth wrote that it could also serve as a sandwich spread, so the next day I put it on barbecue chicken sandwiches. Woah, that was excellent, too. You're not going to have good breath after this appetizer, but it's worth it! :)
Warm Caramelized Onion Dip 
From Elizabeth's Edible Experience (adapted from Cooking Light)


Printable Version


Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 cups chopped onion (about 2 large onions)
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/3 cup (3 ounces) low fat cream cheese
1/3 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions
Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, swirling pan to coat. Add chopped onion and saute for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes or until onions are a deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. 
Remove onions from the heat. Add sour cream and the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl, stirring until blended. Add the warm onions, mix to incorporate and until cheese melts. 
Serve with crostini, crackers, or as a sandwich topping. 

3 comments:

  1. That looks awesome. And really, if you can't eat bad-breath dip around your family, who can you really eat it around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I need to try this as I love love dips - so different and carmelized onions are so darn good

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can personally attest that this dip was delicious, Ash made it for us and I can't wait to make my own batch here at home. Yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails