Monday, March 28, 2011

Completion of 30 Things to Make Before I Turn 30: Homemade Bread

DSC_4484
This recipe completes my list of 30 Things to Make Before I Turn 30! I did make this bread before the big 30, I promise! I had to wait to post it until I got my pictures transferred from my old laptop to new laptop and that finally happened with the help of the brilliant minds at the Apple Store. They somehow recovered all my old photos and I'm so grateful! (Lesson learned about backing up everything on an external hard drive!)


It was a great experience completing all of the items on my list of 30 Things to Make Before 30. It definitely got me out of my cooking comfort zone (rack of lamb, for example) and challenged me to make things I never thought I would be able to - noodles from scratch, homemade english muffins, scones. It is impossible to pick a favorite because I really enjoyed each and every recipe, but I do have to say I was the most excited about the homemade marshmallows. They were so so fun and yummy and such a treat in the middle of winter! I definitely encourage you to try making your own sometime!Looking back on my list I am pretty darn proud of myself. 


Here it is:
30 Things to Make Before I Turn 30



1. Cornish Hens [Check!]
2. Homemade Salsa [Check!]
5. Cheese Souffle [Check!]
6. Blueberry Pie [Check!]
7. Homemade Marshmallows [Check!]
8. She Crab Soup [Check!]
9. Beef Pot Roast [Check!]
11. Monkey Bread [Check!]
12. Yeast Bread [Check!]
13. Sweet Potato Soup [Check!]
16. Scones [Check!]
17. Beer battered fish [Check!]
18. Homemade Granola [Check!]
19. Rack of lamb [Check!]
20. Pasties (Recipe from A. Chris)  [Check!]
21. 
Pioneer Woman's Rosemary Rolls [Check!]
22. 
Lasanga [Check!]
23. 
Eggplant Parmesean [Check!]
24. 
Fettucine Alfredo (Recipe from Mary) [Check!]
25. 
English Muffins  [Check!]
26. 
German Potato Salad[Check!]
27. 
Giada De Laurentiis's Basil Pesto Sauce [Check!]
28. 
Rib Eye Steak with Pan Jus [Check!]
29. 
Chicken Braised in Red Wine [Check!]

30. Bean Burgers (Recipe from Margaret) [Check!]



I've been asked what is next on my cooking "goals". I think that I am going to try "Meatless Mondays" where I post vegetarian meals on Mondays. I am not going to commit to every Monday, but hopefully a couple of times a month! 


Oh, I almost forgot about the bread! I found this recipe on Tasty Kitchen. I've actually made it twice now because hubby and I loved it.  It's incredibly simple and turns out beautifully golden brown, soft, fluffy, yet dense. I love using it to sop up soup and hubby likes it covered in butter. It's excellent any way you eat it!
DSC_4435
Milk & Honey Bread
From Twinks on Tasty Kitchen
Makes 1 loaf
Printable Version


Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon honey
3 cups Bread Flour
2 1/4 teaspoon dry active yeast
3/4 teaspoons Kosher Salt


Directions
In a small saucepan melt the butter over low heat. Turn the burner off and add the milk and honey. 
DSC_4436
Stir to combine well, then set aside. In a small bowl combine 2 cups of the flour, the yeast and salt. 
In a large bowl, or the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the milk mixture and the flour/yeast mixture. 
DSC_4446
Mix until smooth. If mixing by hand, work in the remaining flour, then turn dough out on a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. If using an electric mixer, add about half the remaining flour, then switch to the dough hook and mix in the remaining half cup flour. Knead for 8-10 minutes on low speed.
DSC_4448
Place dough into an oiled bowl, turning to coat on all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a draft-free location to rise until doubled in size, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a work surface and form into a loaf. Place the dough into a loaf pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Allow dough to rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes. 
DSC_4473
Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Place on wire rack to cool. Note: I melted 1 tablespoon of butter on top and sprinkled a tiny bit of Kosher salt. 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Ashley! You did a fabulous job :)
    Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! The bread looks great and what a sense of accomplishment you must feel for making all 30 recipes!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails